Spam, a canned meat product made from chopped pork and ham, has been a popular food item since its introduction in 1937. It has become a staple in many households due to its convenience, versatility, and long shelf life. In this article, we will discuss how long spam can last in the fridge and provide some tips for proper storage.
What is Spam Made of?
Spam is made from pork shoulder, ham, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrate. These ingredients are ground together, canned, and cooked. A typical serving of spam contains around 170 calories, 15 grams of fat, and 7 grams of protein.
Does Spam Expire?
Like all food products, spam has an expiration date. The expiry date indicates the last day that the product can be safely consumed. Eating expired food can cause food poisoning and other health problems, so it is essential to check the expiry date before consuming any food product.
How Long Can Spam Last in the Fridge?
Spam has a long shelf life, which makes it an excellent option for emergency food storage. Unopened cans of spam can last up to two years when stored in a cool, dry place. Once opened, spam can be kept in the fridge for up to seven days. However, several factors can affect spam’s shelf life, such as temperature and storage conditions.
To extend spam’s shelf life, it is recommended to store it in the fridge at a temperature between 35-40°F (2-4°C). It is essential to keep spam in an airtight container to prevent moisture from entering the can and causing spoilage. Signs of spoilage include a foul odor, mold, or discoloration.
How to Properly Store Spam in the Fridge?
Proper storage of spam is crucial for extending its shelf life and ensuring that it stays safe to consume. Here are some tips for storing spam in the fridge:
- Store unopened cans of spam in a cool, dry place: If you have unopened cans of spam, it is best to store them in a cool, dry place like a pantry or a cupboard. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight or near heat sources.
- Transfer opened spam into an airtight container: Once you have opened a can of spam, transfer the remaining portion into an airtight container. Make sure the container is clean and dry before transferring the spam. This will help prevent moisture from getting in and causing spoilage.
- Store spam in the fridge: Store your container of spam in the fridge to keep it fresh for longer. The ideal temperature range for storing spam is between 35-40°F (2-4°C). If your fridge has a specific meat compartment, store the spam there for the best results.
- Keep spam away from strong-smelling foods: Spam has a distinct aroma that can be overpowering, so it’s best to keep it away from other strong-smelling foods like onions or garlic. You can place the container of spam in a plastic bag to help contain the smell.
- Don’t freeze spam: Freezing spam can affect its texture and flavor. It is best to consume spam within seven days of opening.
- Check for signs of spoilage: Before consuming any spam, always check for signs of spoilage like mold, discoloration, or a foul odor. If you notice any of these signs, discard the spam immediately.
Proper storage of spam is essential for maintaining its quality and ensuring that it remains safe to consume. By following these tips, you can enjoy spam for longer and minimize food waste.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to know if spam has gone bad?
Signs of spoilage include a foul odor, mold, or discoloration. If the spam has any of these signs, it is no longer safe to eat.
Can I freeze spam?
It is not recommended to freeze spam as it can affect the texture and flavor. It is best to consume spam within seven days of opening.
Is it safe to eat expired spam?
Consuming expired spam can cause food poisoning and other health problems. It is essential to check the expiry date before consuming any food product.
Spam is a popular food item due to its convenience and long shelf life. While it may not be the healthiest food option, it can be a useful addition to your pantry for emergencies or quick meals. It is essential to store spam properly to extend its shelf life and avoid spoilage.
Remember to check the expiry date before consuming any food product, and discard any spam that shows signs of spoilage. By following these tips, you can enjoy spam safely and deliciously.